10 July 2015

A Privacy Reminder From Google


After signing in to my Google account, Google showed a new page called "a privacy reminder from Google." Here's Google's explanation: "To be consistent with data protection laws, we're asking you to take a moment to review key points of Google's Privacy Policy. This is not about a change we've made - it's just a chance to review the key points below."


The page shows a list of information processed when you use Google and a list of reasons why it's processed. Google also explains how it uses data to improve user experience and lets you adjust some privacy controls (account history, ads settings, opt out of Google Analytics data collection). "These features work because of the information you choose to store with Google. But that's up to you. The controls in your Google Account let you decide what information you want Google to put to work on your behalf," informs Google.



1 comment:

  1. If, like me, you don't have a Gmail account (why should I? I got email long before gmail came in) you will see this notice every time you try to use google unless you click on 'I agree'. I think this is bullying. It is a pretty crude effort to scoop all remaining non-Gmail users into their net, I think and it does not endear me to them. I was indifferent before, but this crude effort to force me into getting a Gmail account makes me want not to. It is only if you 'sign in' that it will remember your preferences under "other options".

    ReplyDelete